Friday, September 9, 2011

Can We Craft? How to pretty up an open venue

As I thumb through wedding magazines and read my daily blogs, I can't help but notice all of the simple crafts that I am dying to make.  My artsy-fartsy abilities are rather lacking; I can dream it, but when it comes to actually making it, I leave all of that to Maggie who is much more adept in the art department. BUT I just had to try to make these simple Martha Stewart Pom-Poms.

So many brides are concerned that their venues will look too open or empty, and, while I love flowers and all their magic, sometimes they just aren't enough to make the space look intimate and express a bride's personality.  These pom-poms can hang from rafters, trees, ceremony chairs-the sky (and your crafter's patients) is the limit!

I had some leftover tissue paper from my last wedding and since I loved the colors, thought this would be a great way to try my hand at crafting.  These would be great for a birthday party or shower as well.

Here are the instructions from Martha Stewart Weddings- I would suggest following her picture step-by-step instructions


How to Make the Pom-Poms:
You'll need tissue paper and 24-gauge white cloth-covered floral wire. (Note: all I had was jewelry wire...gotta love a substitute)

1. Stack eight 20-by-30-inch sheets of tissue. Make 1 1/2-inchwide accordion folds, creasing with each fold.
(Photo: www.marthastewartweddings.com)




2. Fold an 18-inch piece of floral wire in half, and slip over center of folded tissue; twist. With scissors, trim ends of tissue into rounded or pointy shapes.
(photo: www.marthastewartweddings.com)

3. Separate layers, pulling away from center one at a time.
(photo:www.marthastewartweddings.com)


4. Tie a length of monofilament to floral wire for hanging.




(photo: www.marthastewartweddings.com

Thanks Martha!  Now here is the Estoria Social version:

The finished product!


Hanging from the ceiling






























We love these tied in bunches, mixed with lanterns, hung with banners or solo fliers.  Easy as pie!  Happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive